Africa

When you have acquired a taste for dust,
The scent of our first rain,
you're hooked on Africa for life
And you will not be right again
Until you can watch the setting moon
And hear the jackals bark
And know they are around you,
Waiting in the dark.

When you long to see the elephants,
Or to hear the coucal's song
When the moonrise sets your blood on fire
You have been away too long.
It's time to cut the traces loose
And let your heart go free
Beyond that far horizon
Where your spirit yearns to be.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

happy new year

This year has hit the ground running already with some wonderful positive input from our 'group of friends' on ways to help the school.  Having successfully rebuilt the school room last year (out of bricks and mortar with a tin roof which is hopefully cyclone proof this time)  we are now trying to save enough cash to make some wooden benches and desks.  The new school room has a cement floor, and while the children used to sit in the sand, they cannot sit on the cement for long periods - so benches are needed asap.

With some input already received from dear Geli and her friend in Germany, which I will match, we are already well on the way to wood for benches.

As soon as I can get up there, I will be able to post new pictures of the building and the school.  At the moment it is rainy season, so we will probably wait a bit but I am anxious to get there - its been too long!

In the meantime here are some more pictures from mozambique - sights seen along the  main coastal road to San Sabastiao.

rain soaked streets and a fast food joint



buying piri-piri from a roadside vendor



yellow mtel (cellphone) colours appearing everywhere
cellphones are huge in mozambique and have made such a difference for rural dwellers


one stop shop 
more roadside vendors

a truck full of bags of charcoal heading for markets in town
charcoal production is a village industry that consumes acres of indigenous forest

rainfall turns roadworks on the main coastal highway
into slippery mush

first view of the sea



we drove in rain for two days. the sunny skies of aqua blue made famous by Bob Dylan greeted us at the end of our journey


until next time then

ciao ciao

xx






4 comments:

  1. makes me want to get on the road again...
    eish that charcoal truck is scary
    my contribution will come as soon as I'm working again
    (No Angela I'm not going back to the Sanctuary hee hee)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pleased to be included as one of the "friends" and happy that a way forward has been decided. I look forward to reading more news after your next trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have images in my head, but there is nothing better than real photos! Val, tell me when you are leaving, and I`ll jump secretly into your pocket and ride along! These sights are all so vastly different from our German everyday life. Those roads! The vendors, the landscape, and the aquamarine water (while our beach is covered in snow and ice)! Thank you for this post! And yes, wait till the roads are dry and malaria has ceased a bit. Take care of yourselves, no need to rush.
    And thanks, all you friends, for your vortex of ideas and input of many kinds! As I told Rob, it makes me shout!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please make room for me Geli, I'm coming too! Great to see these photos Val, and I'm so happy this is moving in the direction you both want. It's really great.

    Hugs all around!
    xxx lori

    ReplyDelete